Charitable Remainder Unitrusts
How it works
You transfer cash, securities or other appreciated property into a unitrust.
The trust pays a percentage of the value of its principal, which is revalued annually, to you or to the beneficiaries you name.
When the trust terminates, the principal passes to The Hotchkiss School.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of your contribution to the unitrust.
- You pay no up front capital gains tax on appreciated assets you donate.
- You or your designated beneficiaries receive income for life or a term of years.
- You can make additional gifts to the trust as your circumstances allow and qualify for additional tax deductions.
- You have the satisfaction of making a significant gift that benefits you now and The Hotchkiss School later.