Gifts of Real Estate
The Hotchkiss School is happy to consider gifts of residential, commercial and undeveloped real estate. As with donations of other types of appreciated property, gifts of real estate secure a charitable income tax deduction for you, based on the fair market value of the property, with no capital gains liability for the transfer to us.
You can deliver real estate to The Hotchkiss School in several ways:
- Through an outright donation;
- Through the donation of a fractional interest in the property;
- As the basis for a gift plan that will pay you income, like a unitrust.
- By giving us your home and reserving the right to continue living there for your lifetime (a retained life estate);
- Through a part sale/part gift arrangement with us (a charitable bargain sale).
When you are considering a gift of real estate, keep two considerations in mind:
- First, we will gratefully review your gift offer and evaluate the condition and marketability of the proposed real estate, reserving the final say on acceptance.
- Second, the IRS requires donors of real estate to secure an independent appraisal to establish the fair market value of the property. We can assist you in following the IRS procedures for this appraisal.