Charitable Remainder Annuity Trusts
A charitable remainder annuity trust is a separately invested and managed charitable trust that pays you, your spouse, and/or other beneficiaries a fixed annuity income for life or a term of years. You receive a charitable income tax deduction for a portion of your gift to the trust. No additional gifts are permitted. After the annuity trust terminates, the accumulated principal or "remainder interest" goes to The Hotchkiss School.
- Receive stable, predictable income (particularly appealing to older donors and income beneficiaries).
- Avoid all upfront capital gains tax on any appreciated assets you transfer to the annuity trust.
- Receive all or partly tax-free income if your annuity trust is invested for that objective.
- Reduce your estate tax liability by removing a large taxable asset.
- Make a satisfying and substantial gift to The Hotchkiss School during your lifetime.